Tips for Accessible Educational Materials
Accessibility is an important part of Universal Design for Learning, but how do you get started? What do you need to know to make and select materials that work for all learners?
Tips for Accessible Educational Materials:
- Don't assume digital means accessible.
- Add "alt text" to images.
- Add closed captions to videos.
- Use styles for document structure.
- Use high contrast colors for text and background.
- Use more than just color and styling to highlight features.
- Use descriptive hyperlinks.
- Use plain language.
- Use built-in accessibility checkers.
- Adopt principles for developing accessible educational materials.
CAST (2023). Tips for Accessible Educational Materials. Wakefield, MA: Author. Retrieved from https://www.cast.org/products-services/resources/2023/udl-tips-accessible-educational-materials-aem.