Clusive: An Accessible, Digital Reading Platform
Clusive® is an adaptive and accessible web-based reader designed to engage students in independent reading. Based on the inclusive principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), Clusive scaffolds the development of reading skills for students in grades 5 through 12. Think of Clusive as a digital backpack of technology-supported reading materials that students can take with them wherever they go.
Clusive empowers student reading by transforming digital reading environments with features such as:
- Choice of reading materials. Students can choose to read assigned books and articles, choose their own material and build personalized libraries, and take advantage of Clusive’s growing public library.
- Flexible display options. Students can discover settings that work best for their reading needs, such as adjustable text size, line and letter spacing, font choice, and color and contrast. Students build agency by finding their just-right-fit by testing and setting their own preferences.
- Read-aloud capabilities. All of Clusive’s content can be read aloud by text-to-speech software. Students can select the reading speed and voice.
- Just-in-time prompts. Clusive has built in highlighting, note-taking, word knowledge and comprehension checks, an embedded glossary, language translation, and a personal word bank to support planning and meaning-making.
- Social-emotional reflection opportunities. Unique to Clusive are social-emotional supports that encourage student’s self-awareness of their growing literacy skills. There is adaptive content based on students’ prior actions and responses, and the flexibility to opt out of support when students feel they are ready.
- Progress-monitoring tools. In addition to a dashboard where students can view their own progress, there is also a robust dashboard for parents and teachers to see what their students have accomplished.
- Easy access and sharing capabilities. Clusive can be accessed and shared from any device - no matter their location. It integrates with Google Classroom, and offers students and parents a simple sign-on option using their Google accounts.
- A growing public library. Standards-aligned content is available on Clusive through public-domain books and Open Educational Resources (OERs). Teachers can also upload and share additional materials with students in this accessible, supportive environment.
Students can use Clusive to read assigned or free-choice books and articles, build their own personal library, and take advantage of Clusive’s growing public library. Clusive’s goal is to help learners build self-awareness through discovering, choosing, and using preferences that help build learning skills.
Are you an educator, parent, or student interested in helping us make Clusive better? Let us know! We are looking for teachers and students to co-design and beta test with us. Contact us to volunteer.
Learn more about Clusive
Clusive & Bookshare: A Powerful Partnership for Inclusive Literacy
The partnership of Clusive and Bookshare opens the full library of Bookshare to the power and flexibility of Clusive, CAST's free, flexible, and adaptive learning environment.
Making Learning Inclusive with Clusive
In this episode, members of the Clusive team explain the many accessibility features and UDL supports built into Clusive, creating a more personalized learning environment that adapts to the individual needs and preferences of each learner.