Professional Learning Series: Exploring UDL through Cycles of Design, Action, and Reflection
Wednesday, October 27 – Sunday, June 5, 2022
Please note: This professional learning series is hosted by Professional Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Individual educators may participate in both UDL: Explore and UDL: Apply. Team enrollment is encouraged throughout the series, and required for the final step of the UDL: Implement program.
Offered 3 times:
- October 27 – November 16, 2021
- January 19 – February 8, 2022
- March 9 – March 29, 2022
February 16 – March 8, 2022
March 14 – June 5, 2022
Professional Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE), in collaboration with CAST, are offering a new Professional Learning Series: Exploring UDL through Cycles of Design, Action, and Reflection, where educators will learn the foundations of the UDL framework, apply it to their settings in real time to develop an action plan, and receive personalized coaching and support as they begin to implement UDL into their practice.
To address the remarkable variability among students and across learning environments, educators are increasingly turning to Universal Design for Learning (UDL). UDL offers a framework for guiding the design of learning opportunities that are inclusive and challenging for all learners.
Finding time to explore, apply, and implement new frameworks and practices can be difficult, which is why we’ve designed a comprehensive yet flexible UDL experience. The progression through the UDL content reflects the process of new initiatives in schools. The learning pathway begins with discovering the content, explored as either an individual, small team, or group. The next step comprises action planning through application in one or a few areas of your specific educational context, transforming into a team-based process — enabling scalable change and shared understanding across a school or system.
The Universal Design for Learning Series is designed for individuals and teams of educators hoping to build toward meaningful practice by learning about UDL and experiencing it as participants. The series includes three coordinated program offerings:
- Universal Design for Learning: Explore: a three-week asynchronous online workshop in which you’ll learn and begin to apply foundational content, individually or alongside a team or group of colleagues
- Universal Design for Learning: Apply: a three-week virtual institute where you’ll participate in weekly synchronous online sessions* with the UDL teaching team as you work to refine your UDL action plan, individually or with your team, supported by expert practitioner facilitators
- Universal Design for Learning: Implement: a twelve-week interactive support network with regular feedback from your dedicated UDL coach to guide your team through the iterative implementation of UDL in your setting
*synchronous online sessions will be recorded and available for viewing on the online course platform.
Full participation in this flexible learning community will enable educators to deepen their understanding and application of UDL; be supported to design and iterate on an action plan that addresses a problem of practice from a UDL perspective; and, receive continuous support in implementing, reflecting on, and refining their action plan. Further, participants will build connections and become a part of a vast virtual community that will support them to grow and sustain their UDL practice into the future.