UDL-CCI: UDL Credentials & Certifications for Educators & Product Developers
The Universal Design for Learning Credentialing & Certification Initiative (UDL-CCI)
CAST and the UDL Implementation & Research Network (UDL-IRN) are leading a field-building initiative to stimulate, support, and sustain best practices in Universal Design for Learning. This includes a focus on education program design, product development, and classroom instruction to meet the growing global demand for UDL as a design framework that recognizes variability among all learners. This multi-year initiative has resulted in a growing ecosystem of UDL professional credentials and certification opportunities. All of these are available on the Learning Designed platform and have supporting learning resources and offer access to a global online community.
Currently, there are two UDL credentials for individuals:
- UDL Associate - Level 1 Credential: Individuals who earn this credential demonstrate an understanding of why UDL is important in today’s learning environments. They can explain the importance of proactive designing for learner variability so all learners have the opportunity to succeed.
- UDL Core Foundation - Level 2 Credential: Individuals who earn this credential show a more refined understanding of how UDL is used in the design of a learning experience to anticipate variability and reduce barriers. Level 2 serves as the foundation for more advanced, skill-based credentials that focus on UDL application.
- Stay tuned for the UDL Initial Practitioner - Level 3 Credential, coming soon!
In addition to the credentials, there is a new opportunity for school certification in UDL.
The Universal Design for Learning School Implementation and Certification Criteria defines a roadmap for UDL implementation across all aspects of a school, including School Culture and Environment, Teaching and Learning, Leadership and Management, and Professional Learning.
The purpose of the UDL School Implementation and Certification Criteria is to:
- Support an ambitious vision for schoolwide implementation of UDL
- Provide a flexible roadmap for how to achieve this vision
- Offer a pathway toward school level certification.
The criteria were developed in collaboration with an advisory board of school leaders who have experience implementing UDL. They were also built on a foundation of Implementation and Improvement Sciences, research from across the UDL field, and years of experience from UDL implementation specialists who support schools and districts.
2016 – present
UDL-SICC Advisory Board
For inquiries about UDL credentials and certifications in the Learning Designed platform, please email email@example.com.