- to foster a passionate interest and investment in reading for students who have traditionally been uninterested in, or disenfranchised by, traditional classroom literacy practices
- to substantially improve the reading comprehension skills of middle school students who have experienced recurrent failure in the domain of reading
Data emerging from the initial weeks of classroom pilot testing in fall 2013 suggest considerable potential and reason for optimism about the outcomes of the pilot test and eventually the project.
This optimism is buoyed by ratings of Udio's quality, relevance, and usefulness (QRU) in a survey of experts and of classroom teachers conducted by the Center's external evaluator.
- Daley, S. G. (2013). "Rethinking Literacy: Universal Design for Learning, Affective Neuroscience, and Emerging Technologies." Presentation at Learning and the Brain. Cambridge, MA.
- Daley, S. G. (2013). Making Data Actionable: A Case in Middle School Science. Invited presentation at Learning Analytics: Boston. Cambridge, MA.
- Ducharme, K. & Hillaire, G. (2013). "5 Lessons Learned About Data Visualization?From Middle-schoolers." Presentation at Data Visualization Summit. Boston, MA.
- Rose, D. (2013). "Universal Design in Online Learning." Keynote Presentation at Online Learning Institute at ISTE. San Antonio, TX.
- Rose, D. (2013). "Applications of Neuropsychology for Student Learning." Presentation at California Collaborative on District Reform Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
- Rose, D. (2013). "Multimedia for Multiple Representations in Literacy." Presentation at Universal Design for Learning Institute: Reaching All Learners (Harvard Graduate School of Education). Cambridge, MA.
- Rose, D. (2013). "The Universal Literacy Network: Work in Progress." Presentation at New Profit's LDSEL (Learning Differences and Social-Emotional Learning) Conference. Brewster, MA.
- Rose, D., Hasselbring, T., & Rappolt-Schlichtmann, G. (2013). "Emerging Technologies to Improve Middle School Literacy: The Role of Data Analytics Within a New Universal Literacy Network (ULN)." Break-out Session presentation at OSEP Project Directors' Meeting. Washington, D.C.
- Rose, D. & Tillinger, M. (2013) "Universal Design for Learning." Presentation at Contemporary Issues in Applied Psychology and Human Development. Boston College. Chestnut Hill, MA.
- Coyne, P. (2014). "Universal Design for Learning, Comprehension and Online Dialogues: Engaging Struggling Middle School Students." Presentation at Massachusetts Reading Association. Quincy, MA.
- Coyne, P. (2014). "Fostering Creative Response Using Universal Design for Learning." Presentation at International Reading Association. New Orleans, LA.