Join CAST’s dynamic research and development team and help build and shape CAST's innovation agenda!
Position Status: Open. To start immediately. Preference given to candidates who can work onsite at CAST in Wakefield, MA.
Job Type: Full-time, salary commensurate with experience
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls, please.
Located a short distance north of Boston, CAST is a nonprofit education research and development organization that works to expand learning opportunities for all individuals through Universal Design for Learning. As a nonprofit, we know that every employee contributes to our international reputation as a leader in education research, technology, and universal design for learning. Teamwork, risk-taking, and collaborative thinking are essential to the way we work. Most of all, our mission—to improve learning experiences and opportunities for all individuals—motivates not only what we do but how we do it.
Job Description & Responsibilities
CAST seeks a Sr. Innovation Scientist with proven ability to lead an R & D innovation agenda that promotes innovation within education. This individual is part of a larger R & D community, regarded as an expert, and able to secure funds and partnerships. He/she will serve in a critical innovation and research role for the organization. Typically, Sr. Research Scientists have at least 12 plus years of experience post-doctorate in academia or industry. Research Scientists at CAST are responsible for managing research and development projects, including budgets, staff, project activities and maintaining regular communications with project officers and funders. The position requires the ability to drive a substantive R & D line of work aligned to CAST mission and vision. This line of work includes:
- Extending and nurturing a network of external partnerships around research and development areas.
- Leading successful federal and private proposal development efforts with interdisciplinary teams to secure funding for new projects.
- Serving as Principal Investigator in major R & D projects, working in an agile R & D process resulting in the creation of educational interventions, educational technologies, prototypes or models.
- Designing, executing and disseminating qualitative and/or quantitative research.
- Creating and advancing body of knowledge around UDL that contributes to the overall strategic direction of CAST’s mission.
- As a thought leader, consulting and advising educational institutions and corporate or university clients on the application of research findings: innovations in technology, redefining frameworks, changing policy, etc.
- Participates in national and international organizations and advisory boards, serving on review panels, consulting on external projects, and/or collaborating on policy formulation.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. or equivalent in education, technology, psychology, neuroscience or related field.
- At least 12+ years post-doctoral experience in academic or industry job within education.
- Knowledge of current education policy and practice environments.
- Deep understanding of the way people learn and best practices in education.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with Universal Design for Learning preferred.
- Ability to mentor, support and develop early career scientists.
- Existing and strong relationships with relevant funders, collaborators, supporting organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: listening, asking questions, expressing ideas, decision making, resolving conflict, writing, and presenting.
R & D Domains of Interest
- Specific content expertise in one or more of the following: literacy, STEM (formal or informal), affect/motivation, online learning, assessment, K-12 education, early childhood, postsecondary education, accessible instructional materials, technology-supported education, games in education, maker spaces.
- Knowledge of diverse learners: students with disabilities, specific disability categories, English language learners, children from low SES backgrounds.
- Expertise in the learning/cognitive sciences a plus especially in work that bridges theory, research and practical application.
Technical Skill Qualifications
- Methodological and analytical expertise in one or more of the following: design based implementation research, experimental research, assessment design and evaluation, implementation science, improvement science.
- Proficient project management skills.
- Strong track record in securing funding.
- Strong publishing and dissemination record.
- Proven track record of quantitative, design-based, and/or qualitative research skills and analysis methods, with appropriate publications and/or products to demonstrate this capacity.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in agile product development environment.
- Full-time with benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- To start immediately
- Preference given to candidates who can work onsite in Wakefield, MA.
Our work environment is collaborative, high energy, fun, and stimulating. Join us to be part of a passionate learning community dedicated to busting the barriers to learning for all learners.
We offer competitive compensation packages including health insurance, generous vacation, and flexible schedules. CAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to employing a highly-qualified staff that reflects the diversity of our communities and nation.