Join CAST’s dynamic research and development team and help build and shape CAST's innovation research agenda!
Position Status: To start immediately.
Job Type: Full-time, salary commensurate with experience
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls, please.
Located a short distance north of Boston, CAST is a nonprofit education research and development organization that works to expand learning opportunities for all individuals through Universal Design for Learning. As a nonprofit, we know that every employee contributes to our international reputation as a leader in education research, technology, and universal design for learning. Teamwork, risk-taking, and collaborative thinking are essential to the way we work. Most of all, our mission—to improve learning experiences and opportunities for all individuals—motivates not only what we do but how we do it.
Job Description & Responsibilities
CAST seeks a Research Scientist (Early-Career) who has a background and is interested in the larger education R & D community and is interested in learning and furthering their career around education and Universal Design for Learning. They will serve in an innovation and research role for the organization. Research Scientists at CAST are responsible for managing research and development projects, including budgets, staff, project activities and eventually maintaining regular communications with project officers and funders. The position requires the ability to support a principal investigator in an R & D line of work aligned to CAST mission and vision. This line of work includes developing the skills in:
- Maintaining a network of external partnerships around research and development activities.
- Supporting a line of work that represents an area of innovation and excellence for both CAST and the field.
- Learning to support successful proposal development efforts to secure federal and private funding for new significant multiyear R & D projects.
- Helping to lead projects.
- Designing, executing, and analyzing qualitative and/or quantitative research.
- Disseminating findings to varied audiences through scholarly publications and presentations.
- Ability to learn and advance knowledge of UDL that contributes to the overall strategic direction of CAST’s mission.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. or equivalent in education, psychology, neuroscience technology or related field.
- Has experience in academic or industry job within education.
- Deep understanding of the way people learn and best practices in education. Expertise in the learning sciences desired—and especially in work that bridges theory, evidence-based practices, and practical application.
- Knowledge of current education policy and practice environments.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with Universal Design for Learning preferred.
- Knowledge of grant writing at the federal and/or foundation level is advantageous.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with underserved groups is a plus.
R & D Domains of Interest
- Specific content expertise in one or more of the following: literacy, STEM, affect/motivation, self-regulated learning, online learning, assessment, K-12 education, early childhood education, postsecondary education, accessible instructional materials, technology-supported education., teacher learning.
- Knowledge of diverse learners: students with disabilities, specific disability categories, learners from low SES backgrounds underrepresented populations in STEM, and English language learners.
Technical Skill Qualifications
- Methodological and analytical expertise in one or more of the following: design-based implementation research, experimental research, assessment design and evaluation, implementation science, improvement science.
- Proven track record of quantitative, design-based, and/or qualitative research skills and analysis methods, with appropriate publications and/or products to demonstrate this capacity.
- Ability to use learning analytics within research.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a product development environment.
- Full-time with benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- To start immediately
The CAST work environment is collaborative, high energy, fun, and stimulating. Join us to be part of a passionate learning community dedicated to busting the barriers to learning for all learners.
We offer competitive compensation packages including health insurance, generous vacation, and flexible schedules. CAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to employing a highly-qualified staff that reflects the diversity of our communities and nation.