Come help us change the world of education!
We are looking for an early to mid-career Interaction and UI Designer to be part of our multidisciplinary team. CAST is an educational research and development firm that pioneered Universal Design for Learning (UDL), a framework which guides the design of learning experiences that are inspired by and optimized to support learner variability.
As an Interaction and UI Designer you will execute interaction and visual design for online and mobile educational initiatives. You will work within agile teams of learning scientists, instructional designers, curriculum and rich-media content developers, front-end developers and engineers on projects to push the boundaries of Universal Design for Learning into innovative, usable and engaging online and mobile learning environments and tools.
- Participate in all phases of the project development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, user research, interaction design, and testing.
- Draw upon user data, research, and team input to create and iterate designs that enable usable, relevant and engaging experiences for learners and educators.
- Create user flows, storyboards, and wireframes to describe intended user experience
- Create prototypes at all levels of fidelity -- from sketching paper prototypes for co-design with end users, to generating wireframes, scenarios and rapid prototypes, to working with coders on refined final iterations
- Establish branding for new projects, from design research and visual options to UI element sets and associated applications across project screens and templates.
- Turn wireframes and prototypes into engaging, usable, effective, and visually sophisticated design solutions that are effective at the intersection of user-centered and educational goals.
- Create graphical elements, design systems, and style guides for learning environments and associated media (social media, video frames, etc.)
- Work with instructional designers to create rich, multimedia content
- Create information design solutions (charts, diagrams, infographics), and other design assets.
- Provide design and design production for other projects as needed.
Skills & experience optimal for this position
- Ability to work across a range of areas, including interaction design, UI and visual design, typography, and information design
- Facility with current design tools and platforms, and agility for adopting new ones
- Keen interest in design for educational environments
- Comfortable working collaboratively within multidisciplinary teams
- Degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, HCI, or related discipline (or document equivalent academic plus professional experience)
Required: Portfolio demonstrating solid design foundation, interaction and UI skills, and talent and facility with a range of design aesthetics. Applicant must be local to greater Boston, this is not a remote position.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Are you interested? Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover, we would love to hear about your areas of interest and expertise, and where you hope to grow.
CAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Start Date: January 2018
Job Type: Contract position with potential for full-time employment
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Portfolio required (provide URL or work samples). Applicant must be local to Greater Boston (or willing to relocate)